A Monday start to the 2018-2019 school year will allow Amherst Steele students to finish the first semester prior to winter break.
That was a big goal when creating the calendar for next year, said district superintendent Steven Sayers.
Typically, students return to face exams after Christmas vacation. By shifting the calendar forward, they’ll be able to ace tests before the holidays instead.
So next year will begin on Monday, Aug. 20 for upper grades, with kindergarten starting Wednesday, Aug. 22 and preschool beginning Thursday, Aug. 23, according to the calendar approved Oct. 16 by the board of education.
As a result, the school year will last a little longer — a tentative Steele High School commencement ceremony is set for May 25, when seniors will receive diplomas and say farewell. But most students will return to classes for just a brief time after Memorial Day, with summer vacation starting Thursday, May 30.
Other highlights of the year include:
• No school on Labor Day (Sept. 3), Northeast Ohio Education Association Day (Oct. 12), and Conferences Day (Nov. 9).
• Thanksgiving break will be Nov. 21-23.
• Winter break will be Dec. 24 to Jan. 2, 2019, with kids returning Jan. 3.
• No school on Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan. 21), Conferences Day (Feb. 15), or Presidents Day (Feb. 18).
• Spring break will run from March 25-29, and Easter break will run from April 19-22, 2019.