Smoke inhalation took the life of a dog Sunday morning that was trapped in a burning Hidden Valley Drive home.
Amherst firefighters responded at 10:53 a.m. to a blaze at 309 Deepwood Ln., a split-level home where an apparent electrical fire did heavy damage to the lower level.
They had the flames knocked down in seven minutes but could not revive a mid-sized dog found inside, said assistant fire chief Greg Knoll.
“They tried doing some CPR on him but it just didn’t work,” he said, describing how rescue workers used a pet oxygen mask to treat the animal.
The dog, which belonged to a family visiting from Michigan. was not burned — simply overwhelmed by smoke in its lungs.
No people were home when the fire broke out. Its owners returned home from church to find $80,000 in structural damages and $40,000 in destroyed contents, Knoll said.
The home is owned by Thomas Hupman, according to county records.
One Amherst firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion and transported to University Hospitals Amherst Health Center, then taken for further observation in Elyria.
“He never lost consciousness or anything like that. It was more cautionary than anything for his own safety,” Knoll said.
Jason Hawk can be reached at 440-988-2801 or @EditorHawk on Twitter.
Jason Hawk | Amherst News-Times A split-level home on Deepwood Lane suffered $80,000 in structural damages Sunday morning. Rescuers were unable to save a dog, which died of smoke inhalation.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU