An electrical fire destroyed a unit early Monday at Westwood Mobile Home Park in Amherst Township.
Amherst fire chief Wayne Northeim said the Oak Street home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived shortly before 6 a.m.
A problem with a power cord started near the living room and spread quickly to the front of the residence, he said.
Three people were inside the burning home and made it to safety. The chief did not know the fate of three cats.
“Hopefully they got out OK too,” he said. Firefighters weren’t able to locate any of the pets, which some accounts Monday said perished in the blaze.
Mobile homes — especially older ones — are notoriously vulnerable to fire and can rarely be saved.
“They knocked it down relatively fast but it did some damage to the homes on either side,” Northeim said, describing singed skirting to one neighboring unit and a scorched roof on another. Luckily, flames did not breach either home, he said.