With a mere 35 points and Josh Hill in the lead, the Comets boys won the Vermilion Invitational on Saturday.
Hill finished in 17:33 at the head of the 115-runner race, followed by Cameron Shawver with a third place finish and a time of 17:46.
Other Amherst standouts include Devin Baumgartner (8th place, 18:26), Andrew Vontell (10th, 18:33), Scott Kelly (13th, 18:48), Gabe DelValle (15th, 18:54), and Dru Trifiletti (17th, 18:56).
The top 30 finishers received ribbons, so the following runners also won an award: Ethan Barnes (18th, 18:58), Matthew Kirsch (19th, 19:08), Tyler Kovach (22nd, 19:16), Alex Reyes (27th, 19:33), and Matt Trame (29th place, 19:42).
The boys will compete this Saturday on the Richard S. Cooley Track for the Cooley Mile, which will feature runners in kindergarten through 12th grade racing to honor the late track coach and namesake of the track.
The time schedule is as follows:
• 9 a.m.: Girls Little Comets 400-Meter Run (grades K-4)
• 9:05 a.m.: Boys Little Comets 400-Meter Run (grades K-4)
• 9:10 a.m.: Girls Running Club 800-Meter Run (grades 5-6)
• 9:20 a.m.: Boys Running Club 800-Meter Run (grades 5-6)
• 9:30 a.m.: Girls AJH Mile Run (grades 7-8)
• 9:40 a.m.: Boys AJH Mile Run (grades 7-8)
• 9:50 a.m.: Boys MLS Mile Run (grades 9-12)
• 10 a.m.: Raffle drawing and door prizes
Runners in kindergarten through fourth grade interested in competing may register at www.runamherst.com and compete for free.
Courtesy photo The Comets boys cross country runners display the championship trophy and wear their medals and ribbons Saturday after a great race at Vermilion.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU