Winter is coming… finally.
Perhaps the largest snowy blast of the 2017-2018 season is on its way to Lorain County. Here is what we know about the storm headed this way:
• Temperatures will reach a high of 31 this afternoon with winds of 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent during daylight hours with accumulation of less than an inch.
• A Winter Storm Warning is in effect starting at 5 p.m. today, issued by the National Weather Service. It will stay in place through 8 p.m. Wednesday.
• That’s roughly the window snow is expected to start hitting our region.
• There is a 100 percent chance of snow after dark. New snow accumulation tonight will be three to five inches, according to the NWS.
• We can expect “a solid four to six inches” through 8 a.m. Tuesday, the weather service says.
• Northeast winds across Lake Erie are expected to drive up snowfall totals. Lake-effect snow will primarily be focused on Lorain County, where total storm snowfall could reach six to 10 inches.
• Temperatures will plummet Tuesday behind a low pressure system moving to the Atlantic coastline, bringing lake-effect snow to the Great Lakes. Expect lower 20s.
• Expect northerly winds to gust up to 35 mph on Tuesday closer to Lake Erie. Normal winds will be 10 to 20 mph.
• Blowing and drifting snow is likely to be a problem Tuesday and Wednesday, especially in lake shore communities.
• The chance of more snow — around an inch — is at 70 percent for Wednesday, mainly before 8 p.m., with a low of 18 degrees.
• Less than half an inch is expected to fall Wednesday night, and in isolated showers.
• Travel will likely become dangerous. Only travel if prompted by emergency, the weather service warned. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle.
• The storm will be widespread. It will reach throughout north central Ohio, Northeast Ohio, and northwest Pennsylvania.
• Thursday is expected to be sunny, with a warm-up to around 30 degrees.
• Friday will bring a chance of rain showers in the afternoon as temps hit up to 38 degrees.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU