Van erupts in flames near LorMet


Courtesy photos

A 1993 Ford Econoline van burst into flames Saturday at the Amherst Plaza, sending a black plume of smoke into the air. Firefighters responded at 11:15 a.m. to the parking lot just east of the LorMet Credit Union. Amherst fire chief Greg Knoll said an engine fire was to blame.

There were no serious injuries. “He said he had a couple of little burns but nothing (bad),” assistant fire chief Jim Wilhelm said of the driver. “He tried to get as much out of the van as he could.” The drvier, who hails from Broadview Heights, was helping someone on Cooper Foster Park Road move and had a trailer hitched to the van. When the engine started smoking, he pulled into the center of the parking lot, disconnected the trailer, and vented the hood, sending flames shooting upward, Wilhelm said.

Damages were estimated at $4,000 to the vehicle and $1,000 in contents.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/43/2016/08/web1_IMG950094-1.jpg

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/43/2016/08/web1_IMG950096-1.jpg