Flames do big damage in short time on Taylor


By Jason Hawk - jhawk@civitasmedia.com



Courtesy photo Amherst firefighters attack an electrical fire that broke out early Friday on Taylor Street.


An electrical fire this morning has displaced an Amherst couple and their young child.

Neighbors saw smoke drifting from 373 Taylor St. at 7:41 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they found flames coming from around a television and other media devices.

Amherst fire chief Greg Knoll said his crews were able to knock down the flames in 17 minutes, preventing the fire from spreading into the ceiling. “The drywall held, so everything was contained to the room,” he said.

Yet he estimated $60,000 to $65,000 in structural damages and another $30,000 to contents.

Homeowners Michael and Christina Doran were already on the way to work when the fire broke out, Knoll confirmed. Nor was their four-year-old child home, he said.

Firefighters searched inside and outside for a pet cat, which was never found. Knoll said he hopes it escaped to safety.

The ranch house, located south of Park Avenue near the Norfolk and Southern railroad tracks, is not habitable. The chief said the Red Cross was called in a bid to help the Dorans find a place to stay after the disaster.

Elyria Township firefighters assisted at the scene while Vermilion firefighters covered the Amherst fire station.

Jason Hawk can be reached at 440-988-2801 or @EditorHawk on Twitter.

Courtesy photo Amherst firefighters attack an electrical fire that broke out early Friday on Taylor Street.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/43/2016/07/web1_IMG950078.jpg

Courtesy photo Amherst firefighters attack an electrical fire that broke out early Friday on Taylor Street.

By Jason Hawk

jhawk@civitasmedia.com